Wednesday, October 1, 2014

T U R T L E...POWER!



I finally did it! For years, ever since the movie, all I ever wanted to draw were the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I was always afraid however, never really felt good enough or worthy to draw them they way their creators Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird did. Fear has always limited me in a lot of things and sadly drawing the turtles was one of those struggles.

With this being the 30th anniversary of the TMNT and almost the 25th anniversary of the film, I had to do something to celebrate my favorite film and characters of all time. With mere weeks left until the New York Comic Con, i started to sketch Leonardo, just to get this angst out of me. Wary at how poorly I might draw him, angry at how little confidence I had translating my thoughts onto paper.

Surprisingly, when i had finished Leonardo, I smiled and realized I was able to finally draw him the way I had drawn him in my mind over and over.  Instantly, what started as a one-off turtle, evolved into the final piece you see here. This layout, has been sketched in my head for at least 24 years and i can't believe I was able to finally bring it to life. 

I sincerely hope you all enjoy this as much as I did drawing it, Cowabunga! ....hehe, I made a funny!


I will only make 30 of these available as prints for the New York Comic Con. Any remaining after NYCC will be offered for sale through my site www.MrMauro.com 




No comments: